Kelly has been a criminal lawyer for over 35 years, defending thousands of criminal cases ranging from theft to murder. He has appeared in courts across Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. He is a founding partner of DDSG Criminal Law, and currently serves as its managing partner.
Kelly is deeply committed to the rule of law and the essential role that fearless and effective defence lawyers serve in its preservation. Over his long career, Kelly has volunteered his time and experience with several organizations dedicated to the rule of law, including:
- President of the Criminal Trial Lawyers Association of Alberta from 2015-2017, and member of its Board of Directors for over 20 years
- Member of the Canadian Council of Criminal Defence Lawyers
- Member of the International Criminal Bar
- Instructor for the Legal Education Society of Alberta, Law Society of Alberta, University of Alberta Law School, as well as the Edmonton Police Service cadet training program, on a range of criminal law topics including advocacy techniques, evidence, sentencing and practice management.
- Criminal law supervisor for the University of Alberta Law School’s Student Legal Services for over 25 years.
- Law Society of Alberta Professional Mentoring Program
Kelly is not currently accepting new clients, but he can direct you to the lawyer in our firm best able to defend your legal interests.